Monday, June 30, 2008

Weekend Update

Well this will just be a quick update. 

Saturday my friend, Kasey, and I went to visit my friend HyunJoo. We took the bus and it was the first time I had been on a public bus without any adults. It was a little frustrating not knowing where to go, but learning the Korean alphabet from the CNY Korean School really, really helped us. We were able to read street signs and write down certain destinations. We asked some people for help and one man went totally out of his way to lead us to the next bus station. (We had to transfer). We were so grateful for his kindness. On the way back, one woman overheard us asking someone how to get to a certain bus station, and she asked us if we needed help because she spoke english. I even asked a little boy if he knew how to get to Ewha. Haha. 

We made it to HyunJoo's safely there and back and she was so hospitable to both of us. Whenever I'm at her house, we always eat full Korean meals, and she made my favorites: Bulgogi (Korean meat) and Mandu (Korean dumpling). She also took us to try Pat Bing Soo (a popular Korean treat that usually consists of shaved ice, sweet red been paste, and whatever toppings you want on it). I had never had Pat Bing Soo before, but had heard a lot about it. We got the Red bean flavor and the Green tea flavor. I loved the red bean flavored Pat Bing Soo, and the green tea flavored one was also good. The red bean one had fruit on it and it was very refreshing from the humid air. 

The weekend was fun and it was nice to experience Korea's public transportation system. Kasey and I were both very impressed with the cleanliness. Everyone was also so friendly and helpful. The busses are so efficient in Seoul, along with the subways.

That's all for now! (For some pictures, look below)
Allie

No comments: