Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Ewha is Great!

Arrived at Incheon and was so lucky that our great friend Hyun Joo Huh met me. She is a professor who we met while she studied at Syracuse University. I spent the weekend with her and then checked into Ewha on Sunday.

Monday was Orientation. I took the Korean language test, which was RIDICULOUSLY HARD!!!! I had to take the beginner's one, the one that people who don't know anything about Korean took. And I had to do an interview, and it was hard. So....I'm in the Beginner's class.

My first class was about Hallyu: Globalization and Nationalism with Dr. Lee. It's very, very  interesting. There are about 9 of us, all girls, and everyone has different reasons for being in the class and being at Ewha. There's a TON of diversity. I've made friends with a really nice Chinese girl named Dawn. There's a girl from Rochester whi is also adopted, and she is really into videogames, along with another girl from Boston who did her term paper on MMORPGs and how videogames are portrayed and what aspects in them leads to globalization. It's really cool. I told them about my mom's research and videogame class at Le Moyne, and how my brother plays WoW. There's another girl who is half Philipino/half Korean, another girl who is from Japan but lived in Europe, and another girl from Vancouver. All the backgrounds are so diverse and it is so coll to meet so many different people. We had to say why we chose the class, and I said that I was really into Korean music and how my family went to the Korean Music Festival at the Hollywood Bowl last year and this year. Dr. Lee asked which artist was my favorite and I said Dong Bang Shin Gi (and I heard some ooooohhhh - LOL). She asked me to explain them to the people who don't know them. There is so much to learn----everyone is going to be leaning something new.

Dr. Oh's class was next. It's great, but it will be a lot of work (40 pages to read already tonight!). There are 4 people including me, 2 people for whom English is not their native language.

My Korean language class is really good, too. I'm learning tons.

Friday we go on a field trip to see a show called "Ballerina loves a B-boy" -- it's breakdancing and ballet.

Ewha is great. I love it here :)

1 comment:

Valeria P.Martinez said...

Hi Yoojin! I send to you an e-mail yesterday...I would like to know more about EWHA ..please add me on msn or yahoo msn... valpao92@hotmail.com or yahoo.com!! thanks!