Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Sun, School, Shopping!

Wow, it's been an eventful 3 days at Ewha. There's been so much business, I feel like I've been here for 3 weeks already!

It's been really hot and humid, but it's not as bad as I expected it to be. I'm in school for most of the day anyway. 

School is long, but definitely worth part of the experience. There are so many different ideas and points of view. My second day of classes was better than the first. The Hallyu (Korean Wave / Popular culture) still consists of all girls, but there were newcomers today. We talked about how Korea's movies and TV dramas expand to other countries like Japan, China, and Taiwan. A lot of the time, Korean dramas are more popular outside of Korea! There are 4 Hong Kong students in the class, and they all knew the subjects that we were talking about; some Koreans in the class didn't know what we were talking about also.

My next class, Asian/American representation in US Media is also very interesting. Today we talked about the history of stereotypes and why stereotypes are the way they are. We discussed the 4 most common Asian stereotypes in the world today. My professor, Dr. Oh, made very good points and the reading assignments really help me understand  and learn about US Media in relation to Asian Americans. I don't want to offend anyone's ideas, but if you want to hear more about the class and what we discussed, please don't hesitate to e-mail me. ( yoojin15@gmail.com)

My Korean language class is probably the most tiring because it's from 2:50-5:50 after my first 2. The Korean language takes a lot of thinking and remembering and TONS of repetition to remember. My professor, Shin Hye Jung shi (shi is the Korean way to be polite, like saying Mr. or Mrs.) is very well prepared and never stops activity unless we're on break. (We're allowed 2  10 minute breaks). For the first time in my life, I read a full paragraph in Korean and actually understood what the entire thing said. I was amazed and proud. I answered questions about the paragraph also. My class is really great--we're all learning together and there's so much student interaction. We all have to answer questions, ask questions to each other, role play, and I'm feeling more and more comfortable speaking in front of everyone.

My friend and I just got back from a little shopping and walking around Seoul. The shopping is HUGE here in Korea, and there is so much to buy, it's hard to get through one street in the day! It was a lot of fun, but the one of the downsides is that employees assume I know Korean and when they say something I don't know, it's awkward to say something that might not be the right thing to say. Usually I just say "Neh," which is "Yes" in Korean. Or I usually bow my head a little and smile. On the other hand, I'm getting better and better. Yesterday I was exchanging my money somewhere and the man at the counter asked me (in Korean) if I attended Yonsei University. (Yonsei is another university right near Ewha. There are 4 big universities in the same area, so there is so much to do and people to meet). I was surprised that I understood his question and answered him by saying, "Aniyo, Ewha hakkyo." (No, Ewha school). He understood and I was happy that I actually had a conversation, though very, very brief, with a native Korean.

Everyone is so nice here and I really like it. I'm not sure where my mind is right now, whether I'm thinking it's better than home or whatever. I definitely miss home. At the same time, this is a great experience and I love visiting my roots. Like my professor, Dr. Oh, said yesterday, "There are 4 stages to having the full experience while here. 1. The "I can't believe I'm here" stage. 2. The comparing of home stage. 3. Getting past the compare stage. 4. Really seeing the country and having the full experience. (These weren't the exact words he used, but it was something along these lines).

I not sure which stage I am at right now, but I'm really enjoying my time here and I hope I can experience the "full experience" before I go home. (which Dr. Oh said takes 6 months to a year, so it doesn't look like that will happen :P).

Will write more later! Hope this has not disappointed anyone!
Allie

No comments: