Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Update

Just an update from last weekend/beginning of this week.

Last Sunday I went to Hyun-Joo's house and we went to an photography exhibit. The exhibit was from one of her friends, Choi Byung-Kwan, who is a famous photographer not only in Korea, but she told me he travels to Japan also. I had never been to an art gallery for a photography exhibit before, not to mention in Korea. The exhibit was titled: 생명, 환힉 그리고 DMZ. I'm not sure what the translated title is, but it was focused on the De-Militarized Zone separating North and South Korea. There were tons of photos, and they were all beautiful. When we were leaving, Mr. Choi signed and presented us each with one of his photobooks that orginally cost $20 each. I was very surprised and thankful. We even got to take pictures with him in front of some of his work. (look below)

We went to lunch and then to the House of Sharing again. Hyun-Joo did an exhibit on the Halmonis at the Sharing House a few years ago and she knows them all quite well. I got to see and even meet most of the Halmonis. One of them was singing 노래방, (Norebang) and Hyun-Joo told me that she hasn't seen her smiling since she first visited the Sharing House. I also got to take a picture with Lee Oak-Sun Halmoni, (the Halmoni who spoke to our group last Friday).

I had an eventful weekend and this week has also been interesting, in terms of discussions in class. My Hallyu class focused on the aspect of technology this week, so we discussed the use of cell phones, cyworlds (Korean version of myspace/facebook), and videogames in Korea. One of my friends from Hong Kong, Pat, and I did a presentation together on videogames today. It went pretty well.

This weekend should be another interesting one. Friday, our field trip is to participate in the "MudFest" at the beach. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but it sounds fun. Saturday, Kasey, Katie, and I are going to see a soccer game at World Cup Stadium with some friends.

That's all for now! Look for the next update sometime next week!
Allie

No comments: